Title IX litigation has dramatically increased over the last 5 to 7 years – both litigation brought by complainants and respondents on college campuses. Mediation serves as an important tool to mutually resolve these matters. It is an informal, conflict-resolution process brought before an independent, neutral, third-party mediator. Mediation provides the parties with an opportunity to find areas of agreement in a way that is not possible through a lawsuit.
Title IX cases are sensitive and complex matters that require a specialized knowledge of the higher education environment, the law, and best practices prescribed by the Office for Civil Rights that continue to evolve and change. Engaging a mediator who is well-versed on the legal framework of Title IX and related laws and regulations can be pivotal to resolving these disputes.
Courtney is a Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 listed civil mediator. She has over 16 years of education law experience, including serving as campus counsel for a large University system. She also regularly serves as a neutral external investigator. Her practice specializes in Title IX consulting and legal work; however she handles any and all legal matters affecting college campuses and school districts.
Courtney mediates matters involving the following:
- Title IX (pregnancy discrimination/sexual misconduct/relationship violence/stalking/gender equity)
- Title VII discrimination and retaliation
- Hazing in athletics, clubs, Greek life and other areas
- Bullying and negligence
- ADA compliance including accommodations of students and staff
- Faculty grievances and denial of promotion and tenure
- IDEA and 504
- Breach of contract claims
- Student conduct matters
- Discrimination based on gender/sexual orientation
- Disputes involving the termination of high level administration and coaches
We mediate workplace disputes both in the private and public sector, assisting organizations in finding a common ground for employees and departments to resolve their grievances and move forward to a more productive work environment. We partner with clients to problem-solve and reach a resolution through a confidential process and mediate cases both in and outside of Tennessee.