Institutional Compliance Solutions, LLC
ICS is dedicated to providing support for schools, districts, and institutions in creating safe and healthy learning and working environments while navigating the challenges of compliance with Title IX and equity laws and regulations. Emphasizing training and community engagement in areas like Title IX, gender equity, workplace safety, civil rights, Clery Act, FERPA, hazing, and sexual misconduct, ICS strives to equip Title IX and equity administrators with the necessary knowledge and tools for success. We aim to help organizations establish not only regulatory compliance but also foster positive cultures and enduring impact in the educational setting and beyond.
ICS Community Partner
ICS believes in the power of collaboration and support to advance Title IX and equity compliance efforts in schools, districts, and institutions. Our Community Partners play a pivotal role in fostering a culture of safety and inclusivity in their school communities. They have 24/7 access to our most valuable on-demand courses, compliance aids, and tools. Plus they receive access to a discussion portal and expert Q&A guidance as well as newsletters, quarterly Zoom calls, and content to assist them in their roles.
Become a Community Partner:
Meet The Owner
Courtney H. Bullard
Courtney has decades of experience representing institutions, including 8 years as a University system attorney. As in-house counsel, she served as a trusted advisor to the Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, Athletic Director, Director of Office and and Diversity, Title IX Coordinator, Provost and other top level administrators on all legal matters…
Higher Education Services
ICS provides a wide variety of legal and consulting services for colleges and institutions. Our professionals have direct on-campus experience at institutions ranging from small private to large research institutions. While we specialize in Title IX, ICS also provides services for:
- Student affairs
- Employment issues
- Public relations
- Campus police departments
- and more…
School districts and private schools face unique challenges in responding to and addressing sexual harassment, bulling and hazing. Thus, ICS serves the K-12 sector differently, with its own Community, virtual live trainings and webinars. ICS regularly partners with public and private schools to assist in compliance with Title IX, Title VII, Title VI and other relevant laws in a manner. Our team also regularly serves as Interim Title IX Coordinators and Compliance Officers for school districts.
ICS provides Title IX and equity training for all Title IX roles including decision-makers, informal resolution facilitators, investigators, coordinators and others involved in the Formal Title IX grievance process. All Title IX training meets the requirements of the 2020 Title IX regulations. ICS offers many types of training virtually live, in-person and through Title IX University’s e-learning platform. Training includes:
- Tailored In-Person training for the Title IX Team
- Virtual Live Trainings for each role in the Formal Title IX Grievance process
- Civil Rights Investigator Training; and
- Custom Title IX Employee and Student training licensed to districts and institutions.
ICS provides assistance with workplace misconduct matters to assist the private sector in managing risk and build equitable, compliant and productive work environments. Most recently, ICS served on a team of external investigators involving allegations of sexual harassment and assault in the Southern Baptist Convention. Our services include:
- Drafting clear and effective policies and procedures;
- Serving as external investigators into matters involving harassment, discrimination, retaliation, bullying and failure to accommodate;
- Tailored training for HR and other professionals tailored to your workplace policies and procedures
- Assistance with assessment employee culture and organization
Title IX Program Review and Audits
As we say at ICS, one size fits none. Our team partners with districts and institutions to conduct program reviews and provide recommendations for creating an infrastructure at a district or on a campus that supports the intricacies of compliance with Title IX. We ensure recommendations and solutions consider the culture, unique needs, and resources of each school or institution we work with such that implementation of those recommendations is attainable.
Outsourced Roles and Support for Title IX and Human Resources
ICS team members serve in interim roles for school districts and institutions across the country when a Title IX Coordinator, Human Resource, or Compliance role is vacant on an interim or on-going contractual basis. We work with schools that have short-term needs, as well as situations where a school needs longer support when there are gaps in staffing as a result of a leave of absence, prolonged search, hiring freeze or resource reallocation.
Clery Act Services
Ensure Clery Act compliance and campus safety with our expert audit and review services. We help educational institutions navigate Clery Act requirements and foster secure campus environments.
Title IX Expert Witness
Title IX is a specialized area that requires nuanced knowledge of higher education and school districts as well as a solid foundation of the related legal framework. ICS has expertise and experience assisting its clients in many legal matters, including:
- Supporting complainants and respondents in campus proceedings
- Advising institutions and school districts in legal matters
- Representing institutions in Title IX litigation
ICS has enabled our institution to drastically increase training for our Title IX Team. Not only is the content affordable, but it also easy to access for both users and administrators. The trainings themselves are excellent, efficient, and exactly meet our training needs. We could not be happier and recommend it to all institutions.
Lauren Starnes J.D
Our experience with ICS has been fantastic. The ICS team is very professional in all they do. Courtney and her team bring training for the seasoned professional as well as for someone new to a role in Title IX. We love the Title IX University for on-demand training as well as the quarterly webinars and special topic trainings. ICS keeps us up to date on all things Title IX.
My experience with ICS this past year was superb. Courtney and Betsy stand out in their quick responses to requests for consult as well as the high-quality trainings they put on. Overall, I am impressed with their knowledge of the field and appreciate having ICS as a support as I navigate my first year in the higher ed setting.
Carly G. Elliott
We began our partnership with ICS in 2021 and it was a great decision! There is no other organization out there doing what ICS is for those in the K-12 space as it relates to Title IX. I have attended virtual and in-person training sessions and the entire staff’s knowledge and expertise is unmatched. They keep us up to date in the constantly evolving world of Title IX and I learn something new every time! I feel supported at every turn and their customer service is top-notch. Through Title IX University, ICS has helped our district’s Title IX team feel knowledgeable and empowered to handle any Title IX issues that we may experience. We will continue to rely on their partnership in the years ahead!
ICS has truly helped to increase the capacity of Beaufort County School District’s Title IX response. As Title IX Coordinator, I am fully confident in my ability to lead our District Title IX efforts and I fully credit ICS with helping to build my capacity as Title IX Coordinator. The collaboration has allowed us to update and implement new policies, and train school investigators, District investigators, and decision-makers. Our District is very thankful to partner with ICS and look forward to continued collaboration!
Thank you for participating in the Equal Educational Opportunity 2020 Technical Assistance Training, on October 22, 2020. Your presentation on “Title IX and Expectations for Title IX Coordinators” was extremely timely and informative. Participants’ feedback indicated that the information shared was valuable and will help them as they carry out their responsibilities in the district. Please know that your presentation and participation contributed tremendously to the success of the training. Again, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to provide us with relevant information regarding new Title IX regulations. Looking forward to a continued partnership.
Florida Department of Education
I have been recently binging your “The Law and Higher Ed” podcast, and I just wanted to reach out and say thank you for all the time you have spent making it into such a useful and enjoyable resource. I started as Title IX Coordinator/Institutional Compliance Officer with Lincoln Memorial University in November, and this has been such a helpful resource for me as I get started. I studied higher ed law during law school, but I have spent a year as an associate in a personal injury firm and definitely needed a refresher. The podcast has been really great for that.
Lincoln Memorial University
- U.S. Department of Education Increases Fine for Clery Act Violations The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act ("Clery Act") requires postsecondary institutions participating in Title IV student financial assistance programs to annually disclose campus crime statistics and security information. The U.S. Department of Education's Office of Federal Student Aid ("the Department") enforces the Clery Act through program reviews, which… Read More
- The Benefits of Community Partnership Recently, I recorded 2024's first The Law & Education episode with ICS Specialist Brittany Gates. Our conversation centered around the benefits of becoming an ICS Community Partner through the lens of a Title IX Coordinator. Brittany’s responses reminded me of the importance of Community for Title IX Professionals. This space is ever-changing, marked with uncertainty, and,… Read More
- “Before” and “After” Deliberate Indifference In November 2023, the Sixth Circuit in S.C. v. Metropolitan Gov't. of Nashville & Davidson County again addressed circumstances where recipients could be liable for deliberate indifference that occurred both before and after the plaintiff's Title IX claim of sexual harassment. This recent case applied the standards previously set forth by the Sixth Circuit in… Read More
- Transgender Bathroom Bans and Title IX Does Title IX prohibit schools from requiring students to use a restroom or changing area on the basis of their biological sex rather than their gender identity? This is a question that is being litigated with increasing frequency in courts across the country, and without consistent results. Recently, in the case of Bridge v. Oklahoma… Read More